WEEK 3. Stackoverflow

I remember trying to convince my grandfather that Internet is not only the source of entertainment, but can be used to look up information, educate yourself and seek an advice online. He, being an elderly person, always associated learning with reading a book or - in the worst case - watching an educational movie. When I faced some difficulties, my granddad directed me to ask a teacher or a knowledgeable classmate - and was confused when I told him I already found my answer online.

For me - an IT student and a software developer - online forums have become an irreplaceable source of knowledge, troubleshooting and self-improvement. There probably isn't a single day when I would be working and would not visit stackoverflow.com. Any questions - starting from choosing a technology for an upcoming project ending with a bug which brings down the whole system - will be answered by someone from another part of the Earth. 

The tool became so vital that when comparing a set of technologies to use we check stackoverflow.com to compare the number of questions asked per each. The highest number will often define our choice.

Comments

Popular Posts